Please note that this blog is meant to be, at times, a somewhat stream-of-consciousness thought process as I write and ponder things. So sometimes my ideas and conclusions will be polished and other times not so much. In other words, I sometimes ramble.

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Aneurisms and Contradictions

There are some days where it just doesn't pay to surf the internet. You end up on some column reading the most willfully ignorant comments that make you need to shoot blood out your eyes. I don't claim to know even half of all there is to know, but I do my best to thoroughly know what is necessary and accurate when I cover a topic. (One of the reasons I'm often so quiet is that I have nothing to add to a conversation. If I'm ignorant, I stay silent.)

One of my buttons is speaking out of willful ignorance. But I suppose no matter what is said or done, no matter how much resource and truth you provide, people will do what they want to do. I was ministering for months to one of my dearest friends, and at the end of it all I simply asked him, "If God were to appear before you right now, answer all your questions and validate everything the Bible has to say, would you repent and put your trust in him?" His answer was an emphatic "No".

The thing I find ironic is that the very word "truth", regardless of topic, of what one believes, or the angle from which they are approaching a topic, has become almost a dirty word. In our Universalistic, strong-armed-PC world, truth insinuates that something is right and something is wrong. Or to make it closer to home, someONE is right and someONE is wrong. We don't seem to like that very much as it's an inconvenience. We want everyone to be able to do as he or she pleases. We want to be the masters of our own destiny. We want every way to be right for each person.

The irony here is that by laying claim to a philosophy that says there is no right or wrong way, you automatically denounce people that claim there IS a right and wrong way. So what you really end up saying is that your way is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment